- Founded in 2009 by current CEO Sam Waley-Cohen, Portman Dental Care (Portman) is the fastest growing, privately led dental group in the UK
- DC Advisory (DC) was introduced to Sam and Portman in 2011, and subsequently advised Livingbridge on its investment into the business in 2014
- Since 2014, the group has grown from 27 to over 75 practices across the UK, building a strong reputation for modern facilities, patient friendly appointments, friendly and caring staff, and the highest clinical standards
- Core Equity is an innovative, European private investment firm that focuses on partnering with long-term oriented management teams, families and corporates seeking to actively grow and build their businesses. Core Equity is based in Brussels and manages a fund of over €1bn
- DC Advisory, led by James Nichols, Richard Madden and Ciara O’Neill, was engaged by Core Equity in May 2018 to provide M&A and debt advice on the proposed acquisition of Portman
- The transaction was signed on 26 June, one week before second round bids were due
- Core Equity will partner with Portman’s current management team, led by Sam Waley-Cohen, to support them in the next phase of Portman’s growth
We are extremely proud to have been able to support Core Equity on its investment into Portman. The new partnership is perfectly aligned with Core Equity's strategy to back strong incumbent management teams with patient, long-term capital and I am confident the business will continue to flourish as it consolidates its position as a leading, patient-focused private dental group. The whole team at Core Equity was a pleasure to advise and we look forward to working with them again soon.
On behalf of the entire team at Core Equity, I would like to thank James, Ciara and Richard and their team for their advice and support on the deal. James’ superb knowledge of the sector and strong relationships within it, combined with the team’s strong M&A and financing execution capabilities were incredibly valuable in helping us to be able to make a compelling partnership proposition to Sam Waley-Cohen and his team. We look forward to working with DC Advisory again soon.