- Marelli Motori S.p.A. (Marelli Motori) is a leading manufacturer of generators and electric motors. Founded in Northern Italy in 1891, Marelli Motori has renowned worldwide brand recognition in the power generation, co-generation, marine, oil & gas and other industrial sectors
- The Carlyle Group (Carlyle) is a global investment firm with over $200 billion of assets under management. Carlyle is one of the world’s largest and most successful investment firms, with more than 1700 professionals operating in 33 offices in North America, South America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Asia and Australia. Carlyle originally invested in Marelli Motori in June 2013
- Langley Holdings plc (Langley) is a multi-disciplined engineering conglomerate, providing capital equipment technologies to diverse markets worldwide. Langley’s businesses are either outright market leaders or occupy strong niche positions in their respective fields, providing advanced technologies in a solutions-based approach
- DC Advisory (DC) was engaged by Carlyle in October 2018 to provide M&A advice in relation to the sale of Marelli Motori
- DC worked closely with management and shareholders to prepare the business for a sale, and to optimise the timing and competitiveness of the process
- DC ran a tailored auction process with an information memorandum and vendor due diligence reports distributed to a select, pre-qualified group of potential purchasers, comprising private equity and international trade buyers
- Following a competitive process with engagement from trade and financial purchasers, Carlyle entered into a definitive agreement to sell Marelli Motori to Langley for an undisclosed consideration. The transaction completed on 23 May 2019
- Under Langley’s ownership and future strategic direction, Marelli Motori will strengthen its position in the market of rotary electric machines to take full advantage of the fundamental shifts in macro and energy trends. Marelli Motori will operate as a standalone division within Langley
We are very grateful for the support DC Advisory provided us with in the sale of Marelli Motori. We selected the team based on their strong understanding of the business, the space in which they operate and their access to international purchasers. The team was hands-on and collaborative and delivered a tight, timely process ensuring a positive outcome.
We are very pleased to have advised The Carlyle Group, an important client for DC Advisory, on the sale of Marelli Motori. This transaction confirms our ability to deliver complex cross-border transactions and our track record in the Electric Motors & Generators industry, a space which should see further consolidation in the coming years.
We were impressed by DC Advisory’s experience and ability to guide us effectively through the process. They played a key role in maintaining competitive tension throughout the discussions and their insights into international strategic partners helped to secure this long term alliance with Langley.